Saturday, December 28, 2013

2014 Knowledge Goals: Quiero Hablar en Español de Nuevo.


Boy I hope I didn't butcher that title.  It's been a while.

Last year, my knowledge goals were lengthy and repetitive.  A lot of it required me to get back on my thyroid medication and supplements.  Without them, I run around in a fog of forgetfulness and numb brain.  It's difficult and frustrating, considering my schooling history.  I want to consider myself a fairly well-rounded and knowledgeable person but I just can't when my thyroid is going nuts.

With my thyroid better under control this year, I want to focus on something I've lost over the past few years: my ability to speak Spanish fluently.  Once upon a time, I was certified.  Once upon a time, I could dream in Spanish.  Now, I can pick up key phrases and generally understand most written word if it's at a basic level, but speaking it or holding a conversation is completely out of my league.

Aaron now works for a company called Grupo Antolin, which is based in Spain.  They offered the employees Rosetta Stone so they could begin picking up Spanish.  Not only do I think this is a fantastic idea and a potential way I could get back into fluency, but my primary aimed accent was Latin American, namely Mexican.  I'd love the change up.  It's like an accent coach training you to speak with a British accent.  Exciting!  So my primary goal for this year in Knowledge is to Relearn Basic Spanish.

To be honest, I don't know exactly when Aaron is getting the Rosetta Stone set.  If he doesn't receive it by mid-summer, I'll invest in taking basic Spanish again at our local community college.  I'll have to sort everything out as it comes.

In addition to that goal, I want to keep my goal from last year of Reading 12 Books.  And this year, I have it well sorted out ahead of time!  With help from my friends and a few reading lists, I got a hefty list of books I should at least attempt to read.  In knowing that I may not like every book I pick up, I've selected three books a month that I can choose from.  Should I be unable to get past the first chapter of a book, I can pick up another book and try again!


The first column focuses on mostly what I read last year: pagan and spiritual books.  The second column focuses more on fantasy and sci-fi, but wears down to some books that belong in the third column towards the end.  This is primarily because I didn't want to add sequels or other books in full sets if I didn't like the first one to begin with.  You may see an updated list later that adds in the rest of the Hunger Games or Harry Potter series.  Who knows!  The third column looks towards book lists of "Books You Should Read Before 30" and "Foreign Books Everyone Should Read."

So back to my goal table:


For my monthly goal template, I do want to leave space for my habit goal of daily mental exercises.  Again, this will be listed as "Done" or "Not Done" and will have no affect on my completion percentage.  It's more just there as a reminder.

KNOWLEDGE - 0% Complete
Relearn basic Spanish (Rosetta Stone). – 0% complete.
Read one book. – 0% complete.
Daily mental exercises. – Done | Not Done
Some notes:  None.

Only three more till completion!

Next time on The Progressive Planner:
My 2014 Personal Goals.

Question for my readers:
What are your 2014 knowledge goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment