Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hypothyroid Medication Being Upped

Before I was diagnosed as hypothyroid, I thought I just had signs of "getting older." I was tired more often and couldn't pull all-nighters for tests and work like I used to.  I'd always been cold sensitive.  In fact, the only reason I hate taking showers is because I know I'm going to lock up when I step out from the warm water.  I've always had my husband walk my dog in the winter because the freezing temps are just unbearable.  I've also always had dry skin, mostly because I have psoriasis.  I didn't give any of those much thought.

The first thing I noticed was weigh gain.  Of course, I'd barely moved out of my parents' house two years prior and it was only natural, I thought.  What I didn't realize, since I'd never been very involved in checking on my weight, was that I'd ballooned from 145ish up to 190ish in a little under two years.  How terrifying.

The second thing I noticed was my hair.  In fact, I can pinpoint the very moment I began to actually suspect there was something wrong.  I was reviewing pictures from our trip to Chicago in late 2009 when I pointed a picture out to my husband.  "Does that look like I'm going bald?"


"Nah, it's just the lighting."
"But... you can see inches into my hairline."
"Marietta, you're beautiful," he said, and turned back to his game.

I officially resolved at that moment to get bangs.  I still look at this picture in amazement that I didn't do something right then and there.  But of course, I couldn't.  When my husband and I decided we wanted to get married, we reviewed both of our jobs.  He was working a steady job at good pay with health insurance availability.  We figured out that we could put me on the health insurance in May, which is partially why, when he proposed in January of 2008, I wanted to get married by May.  His parents put a stop to that.

"Are you pregnant?"
"No."
"Other people will think you're pregnant."

Despite my argument, I felt practically backed in a corner to change the date.  It ended up being September 20th.  And then my husband got laid off the following February.  So no health insurance for me.

As a freelancer, there aren't a lot of options for me in the health insurance range.  Most insurances for individual artists out there are one word short of frightening.  I've always been fairly reliant on my husband to find health insurance.  Unfortunately, his next job wasn't even full time.  And then, when his job did get full time, they only offered a single plan or a family plan - no couples plan.  We couldn't afford the family plan.  He would then be laid off again.  We'd find him a night-shift job with no benefits.  And then he found his recent job, but again, we simply couldn't afford the $400 a month insurance.  Aaron's always been able to get health insurance since his jobs usually cover him for a minimal fee - this one for $5 - but when it comes to adding me, it's a whole different ballgame.

And the longer I went without health insurance, the worse the symptoms got.  My senior year of college in 2010-2011 was probably the hardest year when it came to the symptoms I experienced.  All I wanted to do was sleep and I would always be exceedingly frustrated that I couldn't.  When I needed to stay up late to study, I'd fall asleep on my study material and wake up 12 hours later with no progress made.  I lost more hair.  I got sick often.  I was depressed.  My jaw began to lock up often and I'd lose my voice.  Not to mention the nagging depression I always felt and my sudden inability to remember even the smallest of things.

Honestly, I was glad that I'd switched from a standard 9-5 (... 3-12? ... sometimes 12 -10?  12-12?  God I was all over the place).  I started freelancing full-time in February of 2011.  If I hadn't, I don't know if I could have maintained a standard job.  Sometimes I'd sleep 36-48 hours without even noticing it.  No amount of alarms or my husband shaking me would wake me up.  I was so tired when I was awake and I couldn't keep track of anything.  I still use the system I used when I was originally taking commissions during this period just in case.  That system involved writing commissioning information down in multiple places, including having e-mail records, using Microsoft Access, Sticky Notes, a marker board calendar and a planner, plus a waiting list with detailed instructions in Word.  Sometimes I'd even compile commission information into large images with all the information written on it in ease.  If I somehow missed a detail, it wasn't because I was having problems remembering; it's because the commissioner legitimately did not give it to me.  Still, I'm surprised I functioned.

Finally, my parents gifted me health insurance for a single year and the first thing I did was got my blood tested to try to figure out why I felt so bad.

Normal TSH levels are (arguably) 0.5-5.  Levels lower than that mean your thyroid is overactive, causing hyperthyroidism while levels higher indicate hypothyroidism.  My initial test came back at a whopping 22.

Of course I got on the medication.  I ended up with hives, a common problem in hypothyroids, and was sent to a derm.  I battled that for most of the duration of the insurance.  When it ran out, I'd just barely been leveled out.  I tried to continue the meds, but then 2012 happened.  It was awful and I ended up discontinuing the meds for a few months towards the end.

But I held on to a few bottles.  I knew I'd need to get tested again and that levothyroxine was a lifelong medication for me.  I began taking the bottles again a couple months ago and waited until the last possible minute to get my blood work done.

My levels came back at 30 despite being back on the meds for few months.  Even though I came off of the medication for a few months, there's really no reason for my TSH levels to be worse than when I was first tested.  My doctor urged me to see an endocrinologist but I'm not on insurance and can't afford it.  I can't even really afford to go in and talk with my doctor to find out more about what's going on, if they even know any more.

What I do know is that they're upping my medication an extra 25 mcg and want me to come back in for a lab and a doctor's appointment in three months.  That's fine; I'll have to come in around then anyway for women stuff.

One of the biggest points of this whole story is the havoc that hypothyroidism has wrecked on my life.  While it's a common disease and there are many people out there who don't even know they have it, it became a very prominent problem in my life that could have left me jobless and without a degree had things not aligned when they did.  I simply got lucky.  And now that I'm back on top of it, I'm finding out that the reason I struggled through 2012 despite being on medication for the majority of it was because my thyroid was still doing me a disservice.  Honestly, that might account for the three months of depression I had between March and May last year.

2012 was bad, but maybe it wasn't as bad as I felt it was.  Maybe my thyroid was just narrowing my field of view.

PS: Anyone out there with hypothyroidism?  Please share your stories in the comment section, particularly if your TSH levels continued to rise despite being on medication.  Did you see an endo?  What happened?

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, that sucks! I can't imagine what it must feel like to have to function with your TSH so high! How high is your current dose? I really hope you get some sort of health plan soon...

    Luckily I am rather in tune with my body. And I knew two of my family members with hypothyroidism. So last fall when I went to my physician, I told him, "I am always tired, cold, my skin is dry and my hair is falling out as if it was a race. Please check my thyroid levels." He was suspicious at first, but did it anyway - and sure enough, all my blood work was perfect except for the TSH levels (which were "only" at six point something).

    Since then we have tried finding the perfect dose - the first time I returned he did not even do blood work, but just asked me whether I was feeling better, and upped my medication based on my experience. I mean, after the first appointment he knew I was paying attention. ^^ My skin is slightly better, my hair is growing back and although I am still tired and cold, I suspect this might come from sleeping six hours or less per night.

    The blood work takes about a week, if I remember correctly, and next week when we get the results I want to discuss with him to try and get my TSH below 2.0, because some studies suggest that this is a "magical line" for most symptoms. We'll see what comes from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new prescription should be for 100mcg. At this point, it's less a concern over how I feel and more a concern over why my levels are so high. Also explains why I've lost a lot of hair still. I feel like I'm going to be totally bald eventually, lol.

      I was actually unaware that any of my family had hypothyroidism. My parents don't talk about their parents very often but I did ask when I was diagnosed. Apparently my maternal grandmother had it, so that's probably where I got it. Both of my parents are thyroid-healthy. Lucky them.

      I'm glad to hear that your doctor is adjusting your dose by how you feel. That's so important to hypothyroids since we tend to be overlooked by primaries once our levels get back down to 5. Endocrinologists tend to put the range more at .3-3 and recognize that hypothyroids feel better the lower their levels are. Those with severe hypothyroidism or thyroid cancer are usually considered leveled out by an endo when they hit 0. Some interesting tidbits. Without health insurance, the internet and books have been my only resource on the subject lol.

      I wish you so much luck on getting your thyroid leveled out and feeling better. I know how tough thyroid problems can be, and how easily others can dismiss it.

      Delete
  2. I was just curious how much it cost to visit my endocrinologist before insurance...sadly, $310 for an office visit! That doesn't even include the lab fees. I guess going to an endo without insurance seems like something you'd really have to save up for. :( I would still suggest calling around to offices to see if they offer any discounts for those without insurance or if they have payment plans. Your levels are out of control and I hope you are able to see an endo and get them into the normal range soonish! I've had my levels under control through meds for years but I still have symptoms...cold intolerance, dry skin, tiredness. They might also be other long term effects of cancer though and will probably never go away. Hopefully that won't be the same for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be looking at, bare minimum, a $1000 savings. Chances are, they'd want a biopsy and X-ray to ensure my thyroid isn't enlarged, decaying or cancerous. If my thyroid continues to be a problem, they may consider removing it - a surgery I certainly cannot afford.

      I approached my parents about potentially getting back on their health insurance but I don't get along with them very well. It's been a fight the whole way and definitely a root cause of my stress this week.

      If you're still experiencing symptoms, you should see an endo. A lot of primaries will overlook your symptoms as long as your TSH levels are in the right range. Endos are more apt to adjust your prescription on how you feel. If nothing else, their TSH ranges are narrower than a primary office (.3-3 versus .5-5). They also may be able to tell you if your problems are linked to your thyroid or to your previous cancer.

      Delete
  3. Ouch, I really hope it's not cancerous! It's unfortunate about not getting along with your parents. :(

    I do see an endo. Despite my levels still being in range she upped my dosage last year. My TSH levels for my last blood test were .349.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I would continue to mention having issues to your endo when you see her the next round. A lot of hypothyroids don't experience a relief in symptoms until they're under 2.

      Delete