Monday, February 25, 2013

I got a volunteer position!


I have to give a giant shout-out to this website.  I went from no research and no opportunities to a volunteer quite literally overnight!  Here's the story.

After posting my journal entry here last night, it was weighing on me that I've done absolutely nothing about researching volunteer options.  To jump start my research for later this week, I decided to do a very fast Google search: "How to volunteer at a pet shelter."  The third link down was this website.

Now I've signed up for websites like this before without any chance of response, but I thought it might be a step forward.  What's the worst that could happen - I sign up, hear nothing back and have to track down individual shelters like my original plan?  No big deal.

So I filled out the form.  It was very to the point and had a multitude of check boxes for anything you could think of doing. I submitted it last night before I went to bed assuming that'd probably be the last of it.

Then I woke up to an e-mail from a local pet shelter.  They have pet adoption events at an even-more-local store every first and third Saturday and wanted to know if I could help out.  Within just a few hours, I was already a volunteer and my first shift is this Saturday!

So, if you're looking for a volunteer opportunity, love pets and don't know where to start, give AdoptAPet.com a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment