Saturday, January 4, 2014

I am the Villain: January Rough


I decided the first Disney villain I'd target would be Ursula fairly early on.  For one, I could show the weight I've gained last year.  This won't be popping up again in most of the other villains I've chosen.  Second, the fluid nature of Ursula's character design lends very heavily to my own natural drawing style.  I like things that curl and whip and swirl, so this was a good start.  Finally, when I was three, my very favorite movie in the entire, whole wide world was The Little Mermaid.  In fact, when I went in for my first haircut, I asked for Ariel's hairstyle and was disappointed that the scissors couldn't make my hair red.  I suppose some of that has leaked into my adult life as I now have red hair.

I took several reference photos of myself for this, so I'm very certain that it looks like me in both stature and face (with some minor modifications).  I used a cooler hue of red for my hair in reference to the original character's blue and violet colors, and maintained an overall red and yellow palette for my version.  You may have noticed that I changed the shell out for a starfish.  This is because I have always related to stars more than any other shape.  Expect to see that become a common theme throughout the drawings.

When I decided on the theme, I'm not sure if I saw it as comical or an internal commentary, but the style that seeped out on this one made that decision for me.

Of course, this is just a rough.  Deciding on character stance and design is always the first step for me before moving forward with lines.  Expect an update sometime next week with those!

And for the love of all that is Disney, please do not mention that this looks like Morgana.  That abomination of a movie does not exist to me.

2 comments:

  1. But I looooved baby ariel and co.! This is great...I absolutely love the pose and the power of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're thinking of the prequel with Marina Del Rey as the antagonist. I actually liked that one! She barely, BARELY didn't make the cut on my list. I'm talking about the sequel with Melody, which was essentially a reverse copy of the original with poor animation and music. Never. Ever. Did. That. Actually. Happen.

      Delete