Sunday, January 12, 2014

Life Update Sunday (v. 1.12.14)



So you remember how, in my last LUS, we had six-ish inches of snow and ice?  Today was 61F.  In about a week, we've had a 90 degree difference between our highest temperature and our lowest.  Climate change is real, folks.

On the bright side, because it's so gorgeous out, I actually did make it to my Exercise Sundays with my mom.  I've come to understand that I really dislike exercising on machines.  It feels bulky and unnatural.  I'd rather walk on foot than in an elliptical.  Maybe next time I can imagine I'm piloting a mech?  Part man, part machine?  Hasta la vista, baby... fat?

Aaron's feeling much better and is fully over the cold he had last week.  On Saturday, I asked to take a walk.  What started as a "Oh, we'll just go a couple blocks around the neighborhood" turned into four miles in slush and mud, including a small round trip in HyVee and discovering a park we didn't even know existed. Kind of exciting, aside from decimating a pair of perfectly good polka dot flats.  Poor flats.  I barely knew ye.

Actually, I knew ye too well.  Good riddance.

I ended up counting said walk as our date night since our original plans were blown.  For about a week, we'd been talking about building a sheet fort.  Yes, a sheet fort.  I may be 25, but I'm five at heart!  Just ignore the crows feet!

Unfortunately, poor Zeus sprung up with another UTI.  While he has one, he really dislikes going in the litter box (aka bladder torture device) but will begrudgingly do so if there's no where else to go.  I found out it had returned by attempting to put on my poor winter coat.  I've had it cleaned since then, but we've had to pick up everything soft on the floor.  Nothing yet, and I don't honestly expect anything more, but we sincerely felt a sheet fort would be too tempting for him.  Next month's date night, for sure.



Lil Bits had his last vet appointment on Tuesday (or should I say No Bits?).  While he handled it very well, Apollo had the usual after-effects of the vaccination boosters.  His little nose was hot and he didn't have an appetite for about 24 hours.




During this time, he cuddled with everyone and everything.  By the next morning, he was begging for food and back to his normal self, which apparently included climbing the screen door about six feet up.  I'm impressed he left no marks on it, but that little monkey's gotta keep his paws on the floor.


When Apollo returned home, Hermes acted like he'd never seen Lil Bits before.  I don't know if he'd picked up other cat scents from the vet office or if the removal of said goods was a huge issue for Hermes (or if that cat's IQ is really about the equivalent of the ponytail palm he so likes to eat), but the dynamics in our house changed for a while.  I caught them cuddling yesterday though, so I think things are back to normal on that front too.



Hermes is keeping up with his usual antics of climbing the shelves.  Last night, I awoke to the sound of him knocking objects off our mantle.  When I came in, he was on top of the second bookshelf.  Cat looked me straight in the eyes and knocked Aaron's diploma to the floor.

He'd make a wonderful pair of gloves.  Or a very small fuzzy scarf.

Honestly, I'm mostly concerned for his safety.  When we lived in the rental house, he sprained his front right paw diving down from a high window.  These shelves are significantly taller.  Never mind the risk that he might knock one down, or knock something valuable off.  Caaaaaaaaat.


Artie has been feeling privileged lately.  Because of Zeus's UTI, the cats have been closed out of the bedroom.  If I left Artie outside of the bedroom, he'd whine and howl all night.  Every time we let him through the door, he prances in like "Hey, hey guys, hey.  I'm special.  I'm awesome.  Mom said so."  He spent much of last night playing with us, much to my distress.  I like sleep, Dog.  Seriously.




That being said, I've definitely heard a few "Hello?" meows from Hermes and Zeus was pawing at the door last night.  It's been hard on everyone.  I miss sleeping with my Tubby Tabby.  He's my cuddlebug, but I just can't chance another comforter being soaked by accident.  It only happened once, but once is more than enough... particularly since he was laying on my back.

I feel I should clarify that accidents in our house are nonexistent.  My pets are incredibly clean and well behaved.  I can't tell you how many times I've been complimented on my housekeeping.  I take great pride in the organization and cleanliness of my home, and feel a need for it to be meticulously spotless since I work in it.  So for Zeus to have an accident means that he has to have something medically going on.  He's only had two.  The first one was the comforter (and me) in December which told me he had his first UTI.  The second was on my coat the other day, which signified the recurrence.  Both times, it was something of mine, meaning that he's trying to tell me that he's hurting.  I'd rather he do that than hold it in until we have a bigger issue, like kidney problems or urethral blockage.  UTIs in male cats can be particularly fatal.  So if I have to go get my coat cleaned to save my cat, I'll do it.



This next week is incredibly busy for me.  Beyond catching up from some mishaps last week, I have a full commission schedule, a couple gigs at the end of the week, and I'm seeing a different friend each day all the way until Sunday.  Seems like leaving Facebook has meant living a real life instead of a virtual one.  I'll take it!

With that, I think that's enough from me.  I have a book to catch up on and that personal illustration sketch that isn't going to line itself.  Look for my check-in sometime Thursday and an update on my personal illustration around Saturday!

I'll leave you from another song cover I've been feeling particularly close to lately.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment