Friday, January 4, 2013

2013 Career Goals: Positive, Quantitative Goals



Let me start with this: I'm a freelance illustrator and I love my job.  I am not half-happy with my current job, but I'm half-happy with the amount of effort I put into it.  Many times, we struggle with balancing our career and our families.  More often, you hear of the person who lost his family because he stayed at the office until midnight every night, but you rarely hear of the people who lost their careers because they spent too much time with the fam.  The second one would nearly be me, particularly with my parents.  I really should learn to say no.  But instead of "saying no to my parents" being a goal, I wanted to make positive, quantitative goals.

The first goal I actually pulled from my financial goals: making my target income for the year.  I would certainly feel better about my career knowing that I made the money I was supposed to make to cover our budget.  See how goals can often cross multiple sections?  I now needed to decide just how I was going to make that amount.

The way I work is by scheduling a certain amount of commissions per month.  I actually say no at my job more often than I do at home.  I have a real job and I need to start treating it that way.  I decided on a monthly number of commissions that I would be happy and comfortable with taking - a number more than last year but that still left me family and fun time.  If I can achieve this number, I will make my target income.  I now had two out of four goals.

As a character designer and concept artist, I'm typically contracted not to show my work until years later.  On top of that, I can't really remember the last time I drew anything for myself.  Creating one drawing a month that's purely for fun could add to both of those.  It would also make me feel much better about my career doing something I love in a relaxed setting.

Finally, because I rarely get a chance to show my work, my portfolio is a little outdated.  By drawing work for myself, I could finally sit down and update my website with work newer than 2011.


Next time on The Progressive Planner:

What are your career-related goals for 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment